For the video version of the episode (or for closed captions and translations), see YouTube:
Wondering how to find the right balance of privacy and convenience, or struggling with the mental strain of a journey towards personal privacy? This episode, we’re sitting down with j43 to chat about the mental strain that can be caused by a journey towards privacy, and a deeper look at parallel economies or “second realms”.
More about j43:
- j43’s guest profile – j43
j43’s recommended ways to Opt Out:
- Use HTTPS only!
- Blocking trackers, at DNS/IP whenever possible
- Blending into the noise, having a portion of your digital identity that looks more “normal” to corporations and 3rd parties
- DYOR and find a good VPN provider that you trust
- Don’t rely 100% on Tor for privacy alone
This week’s project to help you Opt Out - Nextcloud:
- Site – https://nextcloud.com/
- Self-hosting – https://nextcloud.com/install/#instructions-server
- Self-hosting via my Docker Compose project – https://github.com/sethforprivacy/self-hosted-services
- Self-hosting via Yunohost – https://diverter.hostyourown.tools/uncle-jims-cloud/
- Davx for syncing calendar/contacts with mobile – https://f-droid.org/en/packages/at.bitfire.davdroid/
Opt Out’s Sponsors:
- Cake Wallet, an easy to use Monero mobile wallet – https://optoutpod.com/sponsors/#cake-wallet
- LocalMonero, an excellent and privacy-preserving way to buy and sell Monero – https://optoutpod.com/sponsors/#localmonero
- IVPN, an ethical, no-nonsense, non-logging VPN provider – https://optoutpod.com/sponsors/#ivpn
Supporting Opt Out:
- Donations – https://optoutpod.com/about/#donations
- Leave a review on your favorite podcast platform, if possible!
- Share it with your friends, family, and other communities!